Family Immigration

•Top Immigration Law Attorneys Serving Philadelphia and New Jersey.

• Family Immigration | Asylum | Citizenship | Immigration Appeals

Over 750 ★★★★★ Google Reviews

brad sadek

Contact Our Attorneys Today

bbb badge
three best badge
rated by super lawyers sadek

Family Immigration

Family-based immigration is one of the most common forms of visas in the United States.

The U.S. allows an unlimited number of family visas for spouses of U.S. citizens, unmarried children under 21 years of age, orphans adopted abroad or in the United States, as well as parents of U.S. Citizens.

There are also “family preference” visas which allow certain family members of lawful permanent residents (LPR) and U.S. citizens to come to the U.S. as permanent residents, including:

If you are interested in sponsoring a family member, such as a spouse, parent, or child, you will need to file a petition to establish your relationship with that person.

Once approved, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will assign the case to the National Visa Center (NVC) for consular processing which requires an additional application to obtain a permanent resident card (“green card”).

Under certain circumstances, your relative may be permitted to adjust status to permanent resident with USCIS if they are already located in the United States.

K-1 Fiancé(e)

Another common family-based visa is K-1, Fiancé(e). If you have formed a relationship with a person abroad, you may file a fiancé petition establishing your relationship and intent to be married.

Once approved, USCIS will assign the case to the NVC for additional processing, and there will be a consular interview in your fiancé’s country of origin. After the interview and subsequent approval, you have 90 days to marry your fiancé and file an additional application to adjust status to permanent resident.

Contact an Experienced Immigration Attorney

Family based immigration can be a difficult process without proper legal help or knowledge of the process. When you are applying for a spouse or relative there are many legal procedures that take place, as well as many documents required to apply for citizenship or lawful permanent residency.

If you are petitioning USCIS to bring a family member to the United States, you will greatly benefit from the legal expertise of an immigration attorney from Sadek Law Offices.