Bankruptcy Statistics

Top Bankruptcy Attorneys and Home Foreclosure Defense Attorneys.

Over 750 ★★★★★ Google Reviews

brad sadek

Contact Our Attorneys Today

bbb badge
three best badge
rated by super lawyers sadek

At Sadek Bankruptcy Law Offices, we realize that every situation is different. Our debt relief lawyers will take the time to learn about your situation and your goals. Our objective is to explain your legal options and offer the best debt relief strategy for you in the most compassionate and friendly manner possible. Call 24/7 to schedule your meeting with a lawyer.


Our office understands the financial stress our clients endure. Therefore, in addition to reasonable legal fees, we offer a payment plan to all of our valued clients to make quality legal services most affordable.


In addition to our primary law office in Center City, Philadelphia, we also have law offices throughout the Greater Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Area and in New Jersey. Our branch offices have contributed to making us the #1 Bankruptcy Filer and debt relief firm in the Greater Philadelphia area. Our goal is to have a convenient location within 20 minutes of where our clients work or reside.

Bankruptcy Statistics

The year 2009 Bankruptcy Statistics have just been released by the Office of US Courts in accordance with the Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention and Consumer Protection Act of 2005.   The report indicates that during the calendar year 2009 nearly 1.4 million bankruptcy petitions were filed by individuals.  Out of the total number of cases, 71% of cases were filed under Chapter 7 and the remaining 29% were filed under Chapter 13 of the Bankruptcy Code.  Less than one percent of bankruptcy cases were filed under Chapter 11 of the bankruptcy code which is generally reserved for corporate entities. 

Consumer debtors seeking bankruptcy protection under Chapter 7, 13 and 11 during 2009 reported holding total assets in the amount of $200 billion and total liabilities in the amount of $325 billion.  The total assets reported by consumer debtors rose 34 percent over the comparable 2008 figures, meanwhile total liabilities rose 53 percent.  Lastly, the median monthly income of all Debtors was 4% more than 2008 at $2,723.00 and the median expenses were 5% higher at $2,819. 

If there are any general questions or topics you would like to read about relating to bankruptcy law in the Philadelphia, Pennsylvania region, you may contact the Philadelphia Bankruptcy Lawyers at Sadek Law Offices, LLC at 215-545-0008  or toll free at 215-545-0008 or email Thank you.

Share This Story